Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dandelions: Weeds, Food, Cancer Killers?

Cancer killer?


Bet you can’t wait to dig those dandelions out of your lawn, or spray them with 2,4-D to kill them slowly but efficiently.


Not everyone considers dandelions to be weeds. Some view them as veggies to be eaten in salads. Others turn their yellow flowers into wine.


And a potential medicinal use: dandelions may have a future as a cancer killer. To read Patterson Clark’s “Eat your weeds,” in his weekly “Urban Jungle” column in the Washington Post, CLICK HERE.

1 comment:

  1. My 88 year old dad has told me that his family would eat dandelions like spinach when he was a boy growing up in the Great Depression. I used to think that was weird, but now that I'm older and somewhat wiser, I realize his family was pretty normal and perhaps smarter than many people are today.

    ReplyDelete